On most Wednesday evenings, I host two-way Zoom conversations with anyplace between 70 and 100 people who find themselves members of my DrDavisInfiniteHealth.com Internal Circle. Conversations are vigorous and wide-ranging, as we discuss points as various as coronary calcium scores, NMR lipoproteins, blood sugar monitoring, and breath testing for hydrogen fuel.
However our conversations are more and more centered round points related to the microbiome. The science surrounding microbiome points is booming, coming at us at lightning pace and yielding thrilling new classes just about day by day.
It’s changing into clear that the microbiome is an extremely fertile space for citizen scientists (as many within the Internal Circle are), because the instruments for exploration have turn out to be so highly effective. Academics, enterprise individuals, engineers, mothers, dads, grandparents—an excellent number of individuals with completely different backgrounds are discovering simply how a lot energy they’ve over well being, functioning, and temper. We’ve got, as an example, the flexibility to propagate microbes of particular species and strains through yogurt and different meals to yield a whole bunch of billions of bacterial counts for better organic impact, actigraphic gadgets reminiscent of Apple Watch or Oura ring to make measures of sleep phases and coronary heart charge variability, the AIRE gadget to measure breath hydrogen and methane gases, fingerstick and steady glucose screens to trace blood sugar.
Among the many distinctive observations which have been made by citizen scientists following my packages:
- The vast majority of individuals making excessive bacterial rely “yogurt” with a mix of strains of Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus reuteri, and Bacillus coagulans have transformed from H2-positive SIBO to H2-negative by AIRE breath testing with out using antibiotics.
- 20 non-diabetic individuals ingested a “collaborative” consortium of probiotic microbes that have been recognized to vigorously metabolize sugars within the human GI tract, a combination that included strains of Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus plantarum and some others. These individuals decreased fasting blood glucose by a mean of 9.8 mg/dl, a magnitude of impact on a par with diabetes medicine with not one of the side-effects. (They achieved this with a industrial probiotic referred to as Sugar Shift with in vitro-proven synergistic impact in consuming sugars within the GI tract. I’ve no relationship with the corporate, BiotiQuest, besides that the founders, Martha Carlin and Raul Cano, PhD, are buddies of mine.)
- Many people now take pleasure in deep uninterrupted sleep with roughly 20% lengthening of REM intervals through actigraphy with varied strains of L reuteri and the ME-3 pressure of L fermentum. REM is the part of sleep that’s important for emotional and psychological well being.
- Individuals who have eradicated their SIBO (e.g., with “SIBO Yogurt’) report reductions in resting coronary heart charge and enhancements in measures of coronary heart charge variability, HRV, an necessary signal of improved general well being.
- By partaking in a joint cartilage rebuilding program that mixes L reuteri (that stimulates chondrocyte manufacturing of joint lubrication) with collagen hydrolysates and hyaluronic acid—restoring a microbe and vitamins that you must have been getting all alongside in case you ate like a hunter-gatherer—individuals are reporting reductions in arthritis joint ache.
Did you discover that we’re reaching results that aren’t almost-as-good-as what medical doctors and prescribed drugs obtain? We’re reaching results which might be SUPERIOR to what medical doctors and prescribed drugs obtain. That is the brand new theme that I shall be pursuing: advocating well being practices which might be superior to traditional strategies, a lot of them involving purposeful administration of the microbiome.
That was one in every of my intentions in writing my new guide, Tremendous Intestine: to empower citizen scientists in exploring all of the incredible issues we are able to now obtain through administration of our microbiomes.