Each time I discover myself at a restaurant or a household get together that serves an Italian type chopped salad, I completely devour it. It’s one among my favourite forms of salads and I assumed it’d be enjoyable to make a novel model with seasonal, crunchy brussels sprouts as a substitute of lettuce. Say whats up to crunchy taste!
This Italian chopped salad includes shredded brussels sprouts as a substitute of lettuce, tomatoes, chickpeas, provolone and parmesan cheese, olives, crimson onion, pepperoncini and MORE. It’s wrapped collectively in a light-weight Italian type dressing that you just’ll fall in love with as quickly as you’re taking one chew.
What’s in an Italian chopped salad?
that big chopped salad you get from California Pizza Kitchen or Macaroni Grill? Yeah, I’m speaking about that salad.
Italian chopped salads are made with a crunchy base like several types of lettuces, radishes, radicchio or cabbage, veggies like tomatoes, onion and even artichoke hearts, chickpeas and meats like ham or salami, tangy pepperoncini and topped off with cheeses like mozzarella, parmesan or provolone. They’re then tossed with a light-weight, tangy dressing to coat every part.
Speak about a giant bowl of deliciousness.
Components on this Italian chopped salad with brussels sprouts
My tackle a traditional Italian chopped salad mixes it up with a shredded brussels sprouts base that marinates and soaks up all the wonderful flavors with tons of crunch. Each topping on this attractive salad provides a brand new taste and texture ingredient that you just’re going to like. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- For the dressing: you’ll want olive oil, crimson wine vinegar, sugar or honey, garlic, dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Brussels sprouts: the bottom that holds up all the scrumptious toppings! Freshly shredded/chopped brussels sprouts.
- Protein: we’re including a full can of chickpeas, Genoa salami, cubed provolone cheese and shredded parmesan for loads of protein and a tasty saltiness.
- Veggies: this salad additionally has a full cup of grape tomatoes and a few sliced crimson onion for crunch.
- Particular toppings: don’t neglect the sliced olives and pepperoncini! Just a little kick of Italian taste.
What’s a pepperoncini?
Though “pepperoncini” feels like a cute little pepperoni, it’s truly a kind of pepper. Pepperoncini are yellow-green and look much like banana peppers, however are thinner and infrequently a bit hotter by way of spice (some banana peppers have nearly no spice). Should you’re delicate to spice or aren’t a fan of banana peppers, be happy to omit the pepperoncini on this recipe.
Customise your salad
Lacking a number of issues from the listing or trying to DIY? No downside! Listed here are some simple ingredient swaps you can also make on this Italian chopped brussels sprouts salad:
- Swap your protein. Customise your protein by utilizing grilled hen as a substitute of salami or chickpeas. You could possibly even swap in some crispy bacon or ham for the salami.
- Make it vegetarian. Merely omit the salami to maintain this salad vegetarian.
- Go vegan. Seeking to make it vegan? Omit the salami & cheeses and luxuriate in as-is.
- Pasta get together. Get a little bit wild and add some cooked elbow, bowties or cavatappi noodles!
How one can chop brussels sprouts for salad
- The best option to chop or shred brussels sprouts is by utilizing your meals processor. Merely add the slicing attachment to your meals processor and pulse till the brussels sprouts are thinly sliced.
- Should you don’t have a meals processor you’ll be able to thinly slice the brussels sprouts with a pointy knife. Simply make sure that to take away the stem and any outer yellow leaves.
Italian chopped salad in 4 simple steps
- Make your dressing. Begin by whisking collectively all the dressing components in a small bowl.
- Shred the brussels. You’ll then need to shred all of these brussels sprouts with a meals processor or sharp knife.
- Marinate the brussels. Add your dressing to the brussels sprouts by themselves in order that the take in all that taste.
- Chop & toss. Chop the remainder of your toppings, add them to your bowl of marinated brussels sprouts and serve!
Meal prep this salad
This Italian chopped brussels sprouts salad is nice for making forward of time. Merely make the dressing, shred your brussels, chop all of these toppings and retailer them in containers till you’re able to put all of it collectively.
Obtained leftovers? Retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge for 2-3 days.
Extra salad recipes you’ll love
Get all of my scrumptious salad recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this flavorful, simple Italian chopped brussels sprouts salad! Should you make it be sure you go away a remark and a score so I understand how you appreciated it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Italian Chopped Brussels Sprouts Salad
Attractive Italian chopped salad recipe loaded with shredded brussels sprouts, chickpeas, veggies, salami, olives, pepperoncini and scrumptious cheeses. This flavorful and straightforward Italian chopped brussels sprouts salad is tossed in a light-weight Italian dressing and makes the right hearty lunch or contemporary dinner!
- For the Italian dressing:
crimson wine vinegar
sugar or honey, relying on how candy you want your dressing
garlic, finely minced
- Freshly floor black pepper
- For the salad:
brussels sprouts, ended trimmed and outer leaves eliminated
(15 ounce) can chickpeas
thinly sliced Genoa salami, reduce in half or julienned
cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
pitted sliced kalamata or sliced black olives
small crimson onion, thinly sliced
cubed provolone cheese
shaved or shredded parmesan
Make the dressing: in a medium bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, crimson wine vinegar, sugar/honey, garlic, dijon, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Subsequent, shred the brussels sprouts by utilizing a meals processor with the slicing attachment and pulse till the brussels sprouts are thinly sliced. Should you don’t have a meals processor, be happy to make use of a pointy knife to thinly slice.
Add shredded brussels to a big bowl and pour the dressing throughout. Subsequent use a tongs to coat the brussels with the dressing. Let the dressing sit and marinate the brussels for half-hour. Whereas the brussels marinate and take in the dressing, you’ll be able to chop and prep all of your different components.
Subsequent add within the chickpeas, salami, tomatoes, olives, pepperoncinis, crimson onion, provolone cheese cubes, shaved parmesan. Toss to mix. Serve instantly with additional black pepper. Serves 4 to six.
Be happy to maintain this recipe vegetarian by skipping the salami.
Examine the complete publish for extra methods to customise this salad, plus storing directions.
Servings: 6 servings
Serving dimension: 1 serving (primarily based on 6)
Saturated fats: 6.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This publish was initially printed on January nineteenth, 2021, and republished on Could 1st, 2022.