Dentists have really useful fluoride toothpaste for stronger cavity-resistant tooth for many years.1 It’s nonetheless thought of the “gold customary” in dental colleges, regardless of its security considerations.
However there’s a brand new ingredient on the town confirmed to be simply as efficient as fluoride and utterly non-toxic.
It’s known as hydroxyapatite. Hydroxyapatite toothpaste has changed fluoride toothpaste as what I like to recommend to all of my sufferers. However what’s hydroxyapatite toothpaste?
On this weblog submit, we are going to study hydroxyapatite and check out how fluoride compares with it.
How Does Fluoride Toothpaste Work?
Your tooth have an outer masking known as enamel that’s made up of calcium and phosphate. Your saliva additionally incorporates calcium and phosphate that always bathe your tooth. These minerals hold your tooth sturdy.
Micro organism present in cavities can break down meals particles and create an acidic surroundings in your mouth. This acidic surroundings is harsh and might strip away these useful minerals from the surfaces of your tooth. This course of known as demineralization.
The fluoride in fluoridated toothpaste works by:
- Teaming up with the calcium and phosphate in your saliva and tooth to type a compound known as fluorapatite. This compound appears like a crystal lattice (apatite crystal lattice).
- Masking demineralized enamel with the extra acid-resistant fluorapatite. This remineralizes the tooth, restores their power, and protects it from additional injury by acid.
How Does Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste Work?
The remainder of your enamel is definitely composed of water, collagen, and different proteins.
Hydroxyapatite is absorbed by the tooth and fills the enamel fissures attributable to demineralization.
Probably the most extensively studied sort of hydroxyapatite is nano-hydroxyapatite. Toothpaste that incorporates nano-hydroxyapatite has particle sizes between 20-80 nanometers (nm). Due to its small dimension, it will probably insert into actually small areas, which results in higher advantages.
Not like fluoride, hydroxyapatite works by:
- Remineralizing enamel from inside, reaching the innermost a part of a dental cavity
- Binding to plaque and dangerous micro organism in our mouth
How does Hydroxyapatite Examine to Fluoride in Efficacy?
In relation to which toothpaste is extra environment friendly, there’s actually no distinction between hydroxyapatite and fluoride toothpastes.
One examine in contrast 10% hydroxyapatite with 500 ppm F− (amine fluoride), which dentists sometimes prescribe.2 The researchers found that the ten% hydroxyapatite labored simply in addition to 500ppm F− for remineralization and lesion depth (LD) discount.
The conclusion of the examine was that hydroxyapatite toothpaste is the same as fluoride toothpaste on the subject of efficacy.
Advantages of Hydroxyapatite over Fluoride Toothpastes
Each fluoride and hydroxyapatite can remineralize tooth construction, however right here’s why I favor to advocate hydroxyapatite over fluoride:
- Oral microbiome pleasant: Though each have antibacterial properties, fluoride kills decay-causing micro organism and a few good micro organism. However, hydroxyapatite doesn’t kill the micro organism. It prevents dangerous micro organism from attaching to the enamel.3
- Fortifies enamel: Hydroxyapatite can improve the microhardness of enamel.4 The coating of hydroxyapatite reinforces the tooth higher than the fluorapatite coating.
- Non-toxic: Hydroxyapatite is biomimetic.5 There aren’t any uncomfortable side effects with hydroxyapatite—in actual fact, it’s secure sufficient to swallow your entire tube of toothpaste! With fluoride, then again, there’s a poison management label on the tube, and overexposure causes dental and skeletal fluorosis.
- Child-friendly: At an early age, youngsters don’t have full management over swallowing and might ingest massive quantities of toothpaste.6 When this occurs, the fluoride in toothpaste can get absorbed into the bloodstream and trigger dental fluorosis (a change within the look of tooth enamel). Toothpaste that incorporates hydroxyapatite reduces the danger of fluorosis.
- Whitens: Hydroxyapatite toothpaste has been proven to lighten the shade of the tooth with out the assistance of any further abrasives or whitening brokers.7
Is Fluorapatite Stronger than Hydroxyapatite?
Fluorapatite is much less soluble than hydroxyapatite. Which means in acidic situations, fluorapatite is stronger and extra proof against demineralization.
Nonetheless, this doesn’t imply that fluorapatite toothpaste is best than hydroxyapatite toothpaste. In actual fact, research present that hydroxyapatite toothpaste is simply nearly as good as fluorapatite toothpaste, with an additional advantage — it helps with dental hypersensitivity.8
Ought to I Swap to Hydroxyapatite Toothpaste?
To me, it is a no-brainer. When you have a greater various to fluoride toothpaste and it’s non-toxic, why wouldn’t you?
To most dentists, it is a no-brainer as effectively—nevertheless, fluoride continues to be taught because the “gold customary” in dental colleges, and there are nonetheless some dentists on the market who may be leery of hydroxyapatite. If that is your dentist, ship them the analysis!
I like to recommend everybody discuss to their dentist about switching to a hydroxyapatite toothpaste, particularly the next classes of individuals:
- Pregnant girls
- Individuals who reside in areas with fluoridated water provide
- Infants and kids, particularly if they’re under the age of six.
- Individuals with delicate tooth, as hydroxyapatite treats the foundation explanation for sensitivity.9
Which Toothpaste Manufacturers Comprise Hydroxyapatite?
There are two manufacturers of hydroxyapatite toothpaste manufacturers I like to recommend to readers as a result of I take advantage of them myself and so they even have an applicable focus of hydroxyapatite to be efficacious. There are numerous hydroxyapatite toothpastes on the market, sadly, that don’t comprise sufficient of the ingredient to have an impact—when you’re unsure, electronic mail the corporate and ask for the focus. It needs to be 15% or extra.
RiseWell Youngsters’ Mineral Toothpaste (birthday cake taste)
The most important benefit of utilizing toothpaste with hydroxyapatite is that it remineralizes your tooth with none uncomfortable side effects, not like fluoride that’s poisonous in massive portions.
Hydroxyapatite is of course current inside our physique and constitutes most of our enamel.
Each fluoride and hydroxyapatite are scientifically confirmed to reverse dental decay—why not select the much less poisonous one?
1. Marinho VC, Higgins JP, Sheiham A, Logan S. Fluoride toothpastes for stopping dental caries in youngsters and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;(1):CD002278. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002278
2. Amaechi BT, AbdulAzees PA, Alshareif DO, et al. Comparative efficacy of a hydroxyapatite and a fluoride toothpaste for prevention and remineralization of dental caries in youngsters. BDJ Open. 2019;5(1):18. doi:10.1038/s41405-019-0026-8
3. Meyer F, Enax J. Hydroxyapatite in Oral Biofilm Administration. Eur J Dent. 2019;13(2):287-290. doi:10.1055/s-0039-1695657
4. Pepla E, Besharat LK, Palaia G, Tenore G, Migliau G. Nano-hydroxyapatite and its functions in preventive, restorative and regenerative dentistry: a overview of literature. Ann Stomatol (Roma). 2014;5(3):108-114.
5. Enax J, Epple M. Artificial Hydroxyapatite as a Biomimetic Oral Care Agent. Oral Well being Prev Dent. 2018;16(1):7-19. doi:10.3290/j.ohpd.a39690
6. Bossù M, Saccucci M, Salucci A, et al. Enamel remineralization and restore outcomes of Biomimetic Hydroxyapatite toothpaste on deciduous tooth: an efficient choice to fluoride toothpaste. J Nanobiotechnology. 2019;17(1):17. doi:10.1186/s12951-019-0454-6
7. Niwa M, Sato T, Li W, Aoki H, Aoki H, Daisaku T. Sharpening and whitening properties of toothpaste containing hydroxyapatite. J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2001;12(3):277-281. doi:10.1023/a:1008927502523
8. Pajor Okay, Pajchel L, Kolmas J. Hydroxyapatite and Fluorapatite in Conservative Dentistry and Oral Implantology-A Assessment. Supplies (Basel). 2019;12(17). doi:10.3390/ma12172683
9. Vano M, Derchi G, Barone A, Covani U. Effectiveness of nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste in decreasing dentin hypersensitivity: a double-blind randomized managed trial. Quintessence Int. 2014;45(8):703-711. doi:10.3290/j.qi.a32240