This entry was posted on Apr 20, 2022 by Charlotte Bell.
April twenty second is the day that we rejoice this lovely planet that sustains us all. Again in 1970, Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson, impressed by the devastation of a California oil spill a 12 months earlier than and by the power of the anti-war motion, felt that Individuals ought to mobilize round defending the environment. He conceived the day as a chance for a “teach-in” in regards to the issues dealing with our most treasured sources—air and water. On April 22, 1970, 20 million folks took to the streets to point out assist. Earth Day was largely a bipartisan effort.
The EPA was fashioned below President Nixon, and the primary environmental legal guidelines had been enacted throughout his presidency. Everybody understood that the well being of our planet issues us all. Our personal well being will depend on the well being of our surroundings. Yoga may help us dwell extra sustainably on the planet.
Earth Day Yoga: Yamas and Niyamas
The Eight Limbs of Yoga communicate on to caring for the planet. As a result of yoga acknowledges the interconnectedness of us all, the primary two limbs, yama and niyama, can educate us how our habits influences our personal well being and happiness and that of everybody else. Right here’s a fast synopsis of how the yamas and niyamas may communicate to environmentalism. There’s much more I may say about every one, however I need to provide only a small little bit of meals for thought. Training the yamas and niyamas could also be the simplest technique to apply Earth Day yoga.
Yama: Moral Precepts or How We Relate to the World Round Us
- Ahimsa (non-harming): This one is the premise for all the opposite yamas. The others are all variations of non-harming. In training ahimsa towards our planet, we take time to contemplate the implications of our actions in relation to the planet—not just for ourselves, however for different beings as effectively.
- Satya (truthfulness): We are able to search the reality about what actions people are taking that hurt or assist our planet and select to behave with the intention to assist causes or practices that replenish our planet. We are able to communicate, write or in any other case inform others about sustainable residing.
- Asteya (non-stealing): We are able to endeavor to eat solely what we’d like. If you purchase issues, search for sustainable options to the same old mass-produced selections. Your yoga gear will be sustainable too!
- Brahmacharya (smart use of inventive or sexual power): We are able to use our inventive power to advocate and educate—via artwork, music, dance, yoga (examine sustainable asana apply right here), planting a backyard or volunteering to plant timber. So many prospects right here!
- Aparigraha (non-greed or non-grasping): Recycle, reuse, launch the stuff you don’t want. Donate your time, power and materials items. Put your good intentions to work on this planet.
Niyama: Caring for Your self with Integrity
- Saucha (cleanliness): Maintain your individual house—inside and outdoors—free and away from litter. As in aparigraha, donate what you don’t want.
- Santosha (contentment): This precept is on the root of sustainability. Being content material with what you could have reduces the compulsion to eat. Mirror on the blessings in your life.
- Tapas (dedication, power): Make investments your power into one environmental trigger that resonates for you. There are such a lot of issues that have to be addressed, it’s simple to be overwhelmed and quit. Select one factor: timber, oceans, endangered species, international warming (which impacts all of the others) and decide to serving to in a roundabout way.
- Svadhyaya (examine): Learn a few of the nice environmental writers comparable to Wendell Berry, Terry Tempest-Williams, Edward Abbey, Aldo Leopold, Invoice McKibben, to call just a few.
- Isvara pranidhana (give up to grace—or one thing greater than ourselves): Remembering that we’re one small half—albeit a big half—of the bigger net of life helps us put our selections into perspective. Once we keep in mind our interconnectedness with every thing else, we’re extra prone to deal with our planet and all its inhabitants with generosity and caring.
We’d love to listen to your concepts about Earth Day yoga. Please be happy to remark.
You possibly can learn extra in regards to the origins or Earth Day right here.
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and started educating in 1986. Charlotte is the creator of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Follow and Yoga for Meditators, each revealed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and people sextet Purple Rock Rondo, whose DVD received two Emmy awards in 2010.