This Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake is a satisfying meatless meal your complete household will love (mine does!). The saucy, tacky flavors on this dish mimic these in a standard hen or eggplant parmesan, however utilizing cauliflower and barley! If that appears bizarre to you, simply belief me, it’s scrumptious. Cauliflower is my husband’s favourite vegetable, however I typically really feel sort of “meh” about it more often than not. I feel this dish has made me a cauliflower believer! There’s a lot craveable consolation meals taste right here and I discovered a serving to be very filling.
After posting my Tacky Spicy Black Bean Skillet earlier this month, I obtained nice suggestions and requests for extra meatless meals. I’m completely happy to oblige! Generally meals with out meat can really feel a bit like a facet dish, however this one is hearty and substantial sufficient for even my meat-loving husband to take pleasure in it as a predominant course. He calls this “Cauliflower Pizza Casserole” as a result of he thinks the flavors style like pizza. No matter you name it, a 1 ¼ cups serving of this Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake is simply 268 energy or 8 WW Private Factors per serving (although you get an additional level again for the greens)! To view your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and observe it within the WW app or website, click on right here.
The prep time for this Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake isn’t dangerous in any respect. You mainly simply want to chop cauliflower into florets after which combine every little thing collectively. It’s tremendous simple. The prepare dinner time, nonetheless, takes some time. This might want to bake lined for an hour after which return in uncovered for one more 10-Quarter-hour. That is all within the directions beneath, however I needed to level it out so that you just be certain that to depart your self sufficient time! You’ll in all probability need to get began about an hour and a half earlier than you need to eat, however most of that point can be hands-off, leaving you free to do different issues.
- Barley or Farro – The recipe I tailored to make this dish really makes use of farro slightly than barley and I’ve made it each methods. It’s scrumptious both means. Barley and farro have a really related taste and texture, however in my expertise it’s a lot simpler to seek out barley in shops. In case you have pearled or semi-pearled farro readily available, you may completely substitute it. Both means, for an correct prepare dinner time, be certain that the grain you’re utilizing is pearled or semi-pearled.
- Doable Add-ins – I make this precisely as written and for my part it’s good. Nevertheless, if in case you have some veggies you need to deplete, or simply need to bulk this up even additional, you may positively toss in some mushrooms, zucchini, sauteed onions, or olives. If you wish to add meat I feel a little bit of spicy Italian sausage can be tasty. Something you want on a pizza would in all probability style good in right here.
- What ought to I serve this with? I really feel like a saucy, tacky, hearty consolation meals casserole like this one pairs superbly with a facet salad. A balsamic dressing would go actually properly. My Simple Garlic Knots would even be scrumptious with this dish!
In search of extra Italian-inspired recipes like this Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake? Take a look at my Creamy Tuscan Rooster, Pasta Fagioli Soup, One-Pot Meatballs and Macaroni, Crispy Rooster Parmesan, Italian Sausage Bread, Caprese Salad, Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini, One-Pot Turkey and Veggie Spaghetti, Ricotta Stuffed Rooster Bake, Tuscan Olive Rooster, Italian Marriage ceremony Pasta Skillet, Sausage and Tortellini Tomato Soup, Bruschetta Topped Balsamic Rooster, Rooster Parmesan Stuffed Shells, Zuppa Toscana, Eggplant Parmesan Casserole, and plenty of extra within the Italian class of my recipe index!
Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake
This Cauliflower and Barley Parmesan Bake is a satisfying, meatless consolation meals meal that vegetarians and meat-eaters will each love!
- 2 lbs raw cauliflower florets
- 1 ½ cups raw pearl barley, or pearled farro
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 oz finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed pink pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 oz 2% milk shredded Mozzarella cheese
Pre-heat the oven to 425 levels.
In a big mixing bowl, add the cauliflower, barley, marinara sauce, tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, garlic, 2 ounces of the Parmesan cheese, the oregano, onion powder, sugar, salt, crushed pink pepper, and black pepper. Stir to mix. Add the water and stir once more till effectively blended. Switch your complete combination to a 9×13 baking dish and unfold it out evenly. Cowl the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
Whilst you’re ready, mix the remaining ounce of Parmesan with ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs and the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and stir collectively. Put aside.
When the hour is up, uncover the baking dish and stir. Test on doneness. You need the barley to be nearly completed cooking. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella throughout the highest. Prime the shredded cheese with the panko/parmesan combination. Return to the oven and bake for one more 10-Quarter-hour till the barley is cooked, the sauce has thickened, and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5-10 minutes earlier than serving.
Vitamin Info per (1 ¼ cups) serving:
268 energy, 38 g carbs, 8 g sugars, 8 g fats, 3 g saturated fats, 14 g protein, 9 g fiber, 780 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)
Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
7 per (1 ¼ cups) serving (PP calculated utilizing the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Tailored from The NY Occasions