Give your workweek lunch a lift with a easy and wholesome Buddha Bowl. Made with roasted veggies, protein-packed quinoa and tofu, and a creamy tahini dressing, buddha bowls are a fast and simple vegetarian and vegan lunch recipe that can depart you glowing!
Bored with the identical ol’ identical ol’ for lunch day-after-day?
Ditch that drained ham sandwich and deal with your self to a wholesome, filling, and healthful Buddha bowl.
Made with a wonderful mixture of caramelized roasted veggies (together with Roasted Broccoli), creamy avocado, crispy tofu, nutty quinoa, and an herby tahini dressing, Buddha bowls are a great-big bowl of really feel good.
They’ve a beneficiant serving of nutritious elements, loads of colour, and an entire lotta YUM!
You’ll be wowed by its totally different components of taste, texture, and satisfying mixture of straightforward elements.
5 Star Assessment
“This has been my lunch this week, so good. The tahini dressing is so good!”
— Jami —
When you’re not aware of the time period “Buddha bowl” you will have seen this dish on menus beneath the aliases: “glow bowl,” “nourish bowl,” “hippie bowl,” or “energy bowl.”
All of those names cowl a class of all-in-one recipes comprised of wholesome elements served in a bowl. (Not not like this Vegetarian Bibimbap.)
Most Buddha bowls embody 5 key elements:
- Grains. Corresponding to rice, farro (as seen on this Italian Farro Salad), couscous, or, as with this recipe, cooked quinoa.
- Greens. Uncooked, roasted, sautéed, grilled, or a mix of the entire above, a Buddha bowl is usually LOADED with an array of wholesome and colourful vitamin-pack veggies.
- Protein. Historically vegan or vegetarian (like this Tofu Curry), you’ll most frequently see Buddha bowl recipes with plant-based proteins akin to tofu, tempeh, or chickpeas.
- Nuts and Seeds. Lend crunch, slightly saltiness, and wholesome fat and omega-3 fatty acids to maintain you glad.
- Dressing. Provides moisture and intense taste. Whereas some Buddha bowl recipes go for a light-weight and contemporary French dressing, others, like this recipe, go for a creamy and satisfying home made sauce made with lemon and tahini.
Nevertheless you select to spin yours, Buddha bowls are a good way each to repurpose leftover odds and ends and to hit each meals group in a single dish.
Tips on how to Make a Buddha Bowl
Learn to make the very BEST buddha bowl recipe.
You possibly can simply adapt it to what’s in season (or your fridge) and to fit your private style preferences.
As long as you’re hitting the 5 Buddha bowl components listed above, your result’s assured to be delish!
- Tofu. Loaded with plant-based protein and wholesome monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, tofu is my favourite protein selection for a simple buddha bowl recipe. (I additionally love utilizing it on this Tofu Stir Fry.)
- Quinoa. I like to succeed in for a steaming serving of fluffy quinoa to sneak in a double dose of protein and added fiber. (It’s additionally my fav on this Quinoa Chickpea Salad.) Be at liberty to make use of any entire grain: brown rice, farro, and bulgur are all nice choices (strive Lemon Rice for an additional dimension of taste).
- Roasted Greens. I used a mixture of broccoli, cauliflower, and crimson onion. All three are available and inexpensive year-round.
- Tahini. When you aren’t aware of tahini, it’s a paste manufactured from floor sesame seeds and has a consistency just like pure peanut butter. Tahini is a staple in Mediterranean recipes, together with hummus, and provides a beautiful nutty taste to the dressing.
- Herbs. A mixture of contemporary mint and parsley provides this dressing a beautiful freshness and trace of attractive inexperienced colour.
- Lemon. Brightens the dressing and provides a beautiful zip.
- Toppings. A number of ultimate additions akin to avocado (don’t skip this one, belief me), some contemporary cucumber, and a handful of toasted almonds for crunch.
- Prepare dinner the quinoa. Press the tofu and minimize it into cubes. Prepare on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- On a second sheet pan, organize the broccoli, cauliflower, and onion. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the tofu till dry and agency, and the greens till caramelized and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Mix the dressing elements in a meals processor.
- Toss the tofu cubes in a bowl with a few of the dressing.
- Pile every thing into an enormous bowl, add the avocado, different desired toppings, and serve with the remaining dressing on the aspect. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. I like to recommend saving the totally different elements of the Buddha bowl (tofu, veggies, quinoa, and dressing) individually, then combining and reheating simply earlier than serving. Saved on this means, the veggies can preserve for a number of days within the fridge and the tofu for 1 week. The dressing will final in an hermetic jar within the fridge for two weeks.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm your bowl within the microwave till heated by.
Meal Prep Tip
Put together the veggies, tofu, quinoa, and tahini dressing on Sunday and retailer them in separate hermetic containers. Then, mix and reheat all through the week for a simple, filling, and healthful lunch or weeknight dinner.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Meals Processor. For whipping up the straightforward tahini dressing.
- Sheet Pan. You’ll want two for this recipe—one for the tofu and one for all of the tasty roasted greens.
- Shallow Bowls. Are they bowls or are they plates? No matter they’re, I like this set of shallow bowls for serving up buddha bowls, pasta, salads, and extra.
My Favourite Meals Processor
I’ve used this Cuisinart 11-cup meals processor for over 13 years. It has a really sturdy motor, is simple to make use of and wash, and comes with totally different attachments for specialised makes use of.
Consuming this a lot goodness in a single sitting is sufficient to make a gal really feel invincible!
Often Requested Questions
When you don’t benefit from the taste of mint or can not discover contemporary mint in your space, chances are you’ll swap it for almost another herb you get pleasure from. Recent chopped basil or extra parsley can be my decisions since they each have a vibrant, contemporary taste. Don’t skip the contemporary herbs. They make the dressing!
Certain. Whereas vegetarian and vegan Buddha bowls are extra widespread and conventional, you would make this recipe with different protein choices you get pleasure from. A buddha bowl with Grilled Rooster Breast or Baked Salmon in Foil would each be scrumptious. Or, do that Korean Beef Bowl.
Sure! This buddha bowl recipe, as it’s written, is completely gluten free. Nevertheless, if you’re significantly delicate to gluten, I’d encourage you to examine your labels, significantly the labels of your quinoa, tahini, and tofu to make sure they don’t comprise any wheat-based components and have been processed in an authorized gluten free facility to remove the danger of cross-contamination.
For the Buddha Bowl and Quinoa:
- 3/4 cup raw quinoa
- 3/4 pound minimize broccoli florets
- 3/4 pound minimize cauliflower florets about 1/2 medium-sized head, minimize into barely smaller items than the broccoli
- 1 medium crimson onion minimize into 1/2-inch rings, rings principally separated however nonetheless left “chunky” (no want to separate each layer)
- 2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus extra for cooking the quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 block additional agency tofu (12 to 14-ounces) (don’t use agency or silken), faraway from packaged and pressed dry
- 2 small ripe Hass avocados
- Non-obligatory for serving: Sliced cucumbers and toasted almonds or pistachios, extra contemporary mint and parsley
For the Tahini Dressing:
- 1/2 cup tahini* nicely stirred
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice about 2 massive lemons
- 1 1/2 cups frivolously packed contemporary mint leaves about 1 of the herb packs
- 1/2 cup frivolously packed contemporary parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Convey 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and the quinoa. Return to boil, cowl, then cut back warmth and simmer for 12 minutes, till a lot of the liquid is absorbed. Take away from the warmth, fluff with a fork, then get better and let stand for quarter-hour. (That is the cooking course of for the model of quinoa I take advantage of. Examine the bundle of your quinoa and cook dinner in keeping with its instructions.) Set cooked quinoa apart.
Place a rack within the higher and decrease thirds of your oven and preheat your oven to 400 levels F. Whereas the quinoa cooks and the oven preheats, place the tofu between two kitchen towels and set it on a plate. Place a second plate on high, then press firmly to press out as a lot water from the tofu as you may, altering out the towels as wanted. Cube into 3/4-inch cubes, then unfold in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place the broccoli, cauliflower, and onion on a second baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, toss to coat, then unfold into an excellent layer. Place each baking sheets into your oven. Bake the tofu till dry and agency, about 20 minutes, and the greens till caramelized and tender, about 25 minutes. Flip the greens as soon as midway by, and rotate the highest and backside rack positions of the baking sheets. Put aside.
Whereas the greens and tofu cook dinner, put together the dressing: Within the bowl of a meals processor or blender, place the entire dressing elements—tahini, lemon juice, mint, parsley, salt, and pepper, and add 1/2 cup water. Mix till clean.
As soon as the tofu is cooked, let cool barely, after which place the tofu cubes in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss gently to coat. To assemble the bowls, scoop quinoa right into a bowl, then high with the roasted greens, dressed tofu, and avocado, together with cucumber, almonds, and extra contemporary mint and/or parsley as desired. Serve remaining dressing on the aspect and use as a dip or spoon excessive as desired.
- TO STORE: I like to recommend saving the totally different elements of the Buddha bowl (tofu, veggies, quinoa, and dressing) individually, then combining and reheating simply earlier than serving. Saved on this means, the veggies can preserve for a number of days within the fridge and the tofu for 1 week. The dressing will final in an hermetic jar within the fridge for two weeks.
- TO REHEAT: Assemble the buddha bowls as directed with the leftover tofu, dressing, quinoa, and roasted veggies. Heat till heated by within the microwave after which garnish as desired with extra toppings.
- TAHINI SUBSTITUTE: I haven’t tried it, however I believe pure creamy almond, cashew, or peanut butter can be a scrumptious substitute for the tahini. As a result of nut butter is thicker than tahini, chances are you’ll must skinny the dressing with extra water to succeed in a sauce-like consistency.
- VEGETABLE SWAPS: Not a fan (or out of) broccoli and cauliflower? Do that recipe with roasted candy potatoes, zucchini, or any of your different favourite veggies!
Serving: 1(of 4) with 3 tablespoons tahini dressing and a couple of teaspoons sliced almondsEnergy: 755kcalCarbohydrates: 64gProtein: 28gFats: 48gSaturated Fats: 7gPolyunsaturated Fats: 13gMonounsaturated Fats: 25gTrans Fats: 1gPotassium: 1820mgFiber: 19gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 2054IUVitamin C: 151mgCalcium: 251mgIron: 8mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.