Nothing spells consolation fairly like butternut squash and brussel sprouts! So give this wholesome, scrumptious, seasonal Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro recipe a attempt. These veggies supply a lot caramelized, savory goodness when roasted and paired collectively, as they’re on this easy roasted vegetable aspect dish. The golden hue of butternut squash is a calling card for its beta carotene content material, and the pungent taste of brussel sprouts foreshadows its potent sulfur compounds—each are highly effective antioxidants linked with well being safety. So, when you’re looking out for some inspiring vegan butternut squash recipes and brussel sprouts recipes, you got here to the best place! Better of all, these veggies are in season in the course of the cooler fall and winter months, when recent produce choices will not be as extensively out there. The truth is, this roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash aspect dish is ideal in your vacation menu. The mixture of those greens with farro—an entire grain, historic wheat traced again to Italy—makes this recipe a satisfying dish in a single—simply serve it with a plant protein, corresponding to Grilled Spicy Sesame Tofu, for a easy, nutritionally balanced meal. Plus, the mix of greens and farro means this dish is off the charts in ranges of heart- and gut-healthy fibers. For those who’re searching for extra data on how you can cook dinner farro, take a look at my farro weblog right here.
This Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro recipe can be an ideal addition in your vacation desk, together with Thanksgiving and Christmas. I convey an enormous dish to my Thanksgiving potluck, and it’s a massive hit amongst everybody: vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores alike. Convey it to your subsequent potluck or social gathering and watch it turn into the preferred aspect dish on the social gathering. For those who’re in a rush, use pre-cut squash, out there at many grocery shops.
Is farro gluten free?
Sadly, it isn’t. However if you’re avoiding gluten, you’ll be able to simply substitute a distinct grain for farro, corresponding to sorghum, buckwheat, or brown rice. The leftovers are nice the following day too.
The comforting marriage of butternut squash, brussel sprouts and farro come collectively on this easy, plant-based (vegan) recipe for Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussel Sprouts with Farro, which is great for a country meal or your vacation desk.
- 2 kilos butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 1 pound recent brussel sprouts, trimmed, halved
Balsamic French dressing:
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Convey broth to boil in a medium pot over medium warmth. Add farro, cowl, and simmer for 25-Half-hour, stirring often, till simply tender. Don’t overcook. Exchange moisture misplaced to evaporation with extra liquid, if wanted. Drain any leftover broth from farro and put aside.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place butternut squash and Brussels sprouts in a giant baking dish (9 × 13 “).
- To make balsamic French dressing: Combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sage, garlic, salt, black pepper collectively in a small dish.
- Toss French dressing into greens with tongs to distribute components.
- Place baking dish on the highest shelf of the oven. Prepare dinner for about Half-hour, till greens are barely tender, stirring each quarter-hour.
- Take away the baking dish of greens from the oven, toss in cooked farro, and sprinkle with pecans. Return to oven and cook dinner for an extra 10 minutes, uncovered, till golden brown and tender.
- Serve instantly.
- Makes 6 servings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 40 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 203
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fats: 7 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
Key phrases: butternut squash, brussels sprouts, vegan squash recipe
For different vegetable aspect dishes, take a look at the next:
Maple and Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Orange Ginger Carrots
Broccoli Walnut Au Gratin
Mashed Potatoes and Heirloom Carrots with Basil, Garlic, and Olive Oil
Roasted Rosemary Potatoes and Tomatoes
Grilled Lemon Cilantro Shishito Peppers